The program fee is $66.00 per parent/family member that is over 18 years old. This fee covers all costs associated with the program including breakfast, lunch, staffing, materials and logistics. The charge is a per-person fee for all participants. New Student Orientation programs at the University of Maryland include a program fee because the Orientation Office receives no funding from the university or the state. The fees associated with our program are charged directly to your student account. Please do not send payment to the Orientation Office.
First Year student programs held in June and July are two days in length and include an overnight stay in an on campus residence hall. Overnight Luggage Check-In is from 7:45 AM - 8:45 AM at the overnight residence hall, and the program begins promptly at 9:00 AM on the first day, and students will end at 2:30 PM on the second day. Please keep these times in mind when making travel arrangements.
Transfer student programs held during the summer and first year student programs held in late August are both one day in length and do not include an overnight stay on campus. Orientation Program Check-In will begin at 8:00 AM and students will end by 4:00 PM. Please keep these times in mind when making travel arrangements.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (commonly referred to as the "Buckley Amendment") is designed to protect the confidentiality of education records and to give students access to their records to assure the accuracy of their contents. The Act affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.
A student's rights begin when the student is registering for classes and meets with an advisor. The privacy protection FERPA gives to students is very broad. With limited exceptions, FERPA regulations give privacy protection to all student education records. Examples of student records entitled to protection under FERPA include grade reports, transcripts and most disciplinary files. This protected information cannot be released to any third party, including parents, without signed and dated written consent from the student.
For more information on educational privacy rights, FERPA and receiving parent access (student granted access to parents/guardians to view grades, class schedules, account balances, and unofficial transcripts using the University's Testudo Web site), please visit the Office of Parent and Family Affairs website.
- Q: Can I join my student when they complete their academic advising?
- A: Unfortunately, no. Please read the section entilted "FERPA" for more information about confidentiality of student information.
- Q: Is this program required?
- A: This program is optional for family members.
- Q: For two-day programs, will I be provided overnight accommodations?
- A: We are only able to provide accommodations for students, and cannot house parents & family members. There are a number of hotels in the College Park area within walking and driving distance to campus.
- Q: Where and when should I pick my student up from their program?
- A: For two-day programs, students will be finished their program by 2:30pm on the second day of their orientation. They should be picked up at Denton Hall, where they were dropped off for check-in. For one-day programs, students will be finished by 4:00 pm, but the actual ending time of the program varies depending on their college and major.
For more frequenty asked questions, please visit the Office of Parent and Family Affairs website.