Family To-Do List
Welcome to the Terp Family!
We are so excited that your student is joining the UMD Community! As a parent, family member, loved one, and/or supporter we know what an important role you play in your student's transition.
Everything you need to help your student transition can be found on our website.
Below outlines an IMPORTANT To-Do List for Family Members for you to review in preparation for orientation.
Please call our office at 301-314-8217, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, if you have any questions or concerns.
Terp Family Orientation for Winter 2021-2022 will be held in person at the University of Maryland, College Park!
To register for our Terp Family Orientation program, students can register their family members when they register for their orientation. You can also call our office at 301-314-8217.
- All Registered Terp Family Members will receive an initial confirmation email and so will your student.
- ONE WEEK Prior to your Terp Family Orientation, you will receive a Final Reminders email with final details.
Optional Parent and Family Program for Day Two
New Student Orientation is a two-day program. For parents and family members, the first day consists of numerous information sessions, meetings with staff, and question and answer sessions with students and faculty to help you understand the resources provided to you and your student here at Maryland.
You may prefer to return home or spend the second day relaxing or touring on your own. If you would rather participate in an organized, university-hosted activity that connects you with a staff member, an Orientation Advisor, and a small group of parents, a Terp Trip is for you.
The Office of Parent and Family Affairs is excited to provide Terp Family eConnection, a communications portal to enhance your Terp family experience and customize the information you receive. The goal of Terp Family eConnection is to ensure you receive the most relevant news items and special notices at just the right time in your student's journey.
Terp Family eConnection is your one-stop-shop for:
- Access to important news, updates, and deadlines;
- Personalized newsletters specific to you and your student;
- Announcements via email;
- Sharing of updates with your student and/or friends and family.
Parent and family member emails are automatically imported as their undergraduate student enrolls at the university. Once that happens, you will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to complete the registration process.
No welcome email? Or don’t want to wait? No worries! To create an account and set-up your profile, visit:
While completing New Student Orientation is your student's responsibility, sometimes it can be helpful to give your student a helpful nudge. All incoming First-Year, Transfer, & Freshmen Connection students have To-Do Lists to complete in preparation for Orientation.
Encourage your student to review their To-Do List found on our website today!
Terp Family Orientation One-Day Packing List
- Comfortable, casual clothing and walking shoes – wear your Terp Pride!
- Parking Permit (available on our website)
- Reusable water bottle (to stay hydrated and be green!)
- Notebook and pen
- A light jacket or sweater because some rooms can be cold.
- Personal spending money
- An umbrella and rain jacket! (Maryland weather is unpredictable!)